Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eating Humble Pie

What is it in us that makes us so averse to admitting we are wrong or have made a mistake? Why can't we just say, "I was wrong?" Why do we feel like failures when we mess up?

It's because we are all prideful creatures. Innate in us is a desire to "look good" in the eyes of others. Whether or not we want to admit it, the truth is that deep down we want to be regarded as worthy, important, and valuable. Admitting a mistake wounds us because we realize that someone might think less of us.

Well, I'm going to be a big girl and eat my humble pie. Those turkeys I wrote about yesterday? They're not turkeys. They are guinea fowl. I admit it - I don't know much about birds! Here's a link with information about Guineas:


Cute little buggers! And the cool thing is they help control deer ticks.

I didn't see them on my way to work this morning; they were probably insulted that I called them turkeys.

No comments: